Thursday, September 27, 2012
Does Andrew Joey Johns deserve to be selected as a Rugby League immortal?
Those of you who know my blog would be surprised at the fact that I am writing about Rugby League. But I feel I need to.
NRL tonight chose Andrew Joey Johns as an immortal of the game of Rugby League.
Whilst undoubtedly one of the most skillful players of all time, does Joey Johns deserve such high accolades?
Surely NOT!
Immortality has to be earned with on the field performance AND off the field exemplary behaviour.
Andrew Johns admitted to be a regular user of recreational drugs (Ecstasy) throughout his career...(although he maintains never before a match & mostly during off season).........something that NRL authorities and Rugby League media knew, kept quiet about & in fact worked hard to hide!!
That by itself should automatically disqualify Johns from even being considered an immortal!
Please note I am not talking about redemption & being given a second chance. Johns deserves all that like anyone else. He was & is remorseful for what he did & is doing very well.
That is not the point! Everyone deserves a second chance.
All I am saying is he does not deserve to be an immortal because of his mistakes.
NRL are supposed to be responsible for setting examples for kids. Choosing Joey Johns as an immortal is not the way to go!!
Labels:
Joey Johns,
NRL,
Rugby League
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment